4 cups water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp white sugar
6 pickling cucumbers, cut into quarters
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 dried bay leaf (broken up)
1/4 tsp celery seeds (optional)
1/4 tsp red chili pepper flakes
8 MED cloves garlic, cut into long, thin pieces
6 large sprigs of fresh dill
Equipment: 2 quart sized ball jars, or 1 large half gallon jar (cleaned and dried)
1. In a non-reactive pot, bring water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
2. Place peppercorns, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, dried bay leaf, celery seeds, and red chili pepper flakes in the bottom of the jars.
3. Tightly pack in the cucumbers, squeeze garlic slices in between the cucumbers.
4. Carefully pour the cooled brine over your cucumbers, make sure they are covered completely (you should have a little over 4.5 cups of brine after boiling and cooling with a bit left over), place dill sprigs on the top of the jar before sealing very well.
5. Turn and shake jar until the pickling seasoning has evenly distributed throughout the brine. Place in refrigerator for at least 48 hours.